Thursday, March 16, 2017

Vision for my Boys

There are a few blogs/sites I follow regularly. Most of them having to do with women who are Moms of Boys. They are a great encouragement to me, and support as I have personally reached out to a few of them and they have replied back. Yesterday I was reading a post from Wendy Speake (check out her website), she was talking about casting vision for our families, for our boys specifically (side note, Wendy wrote THIS amazing book with another amazing mom of boys, Amber Lia, that I follow here). Something triggered inside me and I felt compelled to do this exact thing that evening. My husband was off to his men's group that night and I knew after bedtime I'd have time. So after I got everyone in to bed (which went quite smoothly last night, thank you Jesus), I sat down and began to write. I used a bit of the template she gave to get started for my boys, but honestly, the words just flowed. As I prayed about what I felt each son needed to hear, I just wrote. I kept it simple, to one or two things, told them how lucky I was to be their mommy and how proud of them I was and wrapped it up with "I love you, Mom". I also wrote one for my husband, which he enjoyed reading later that evening when he got home. I struggle sometimes to publicly tell my boys all the wonderful qualities I see in them, sometimes the days just blur together and in this current season of crazy, I'm sure my words aren't always as uplifting as they need to be. So this was a good challenge for me. 

When the boys woke up in the morning, my oldest son (who is 6.5) saw his Dad's note sitting on the coffee table, he asked me what it was and said that he was able to read the whole thing (yay for his reading!). I told him it was a special note for Daddy and that I had actually written one for him and his brothers. His precious face lit up and he said "where are they?" with excitement. They were on the counter at their breakfast spot. He rushed over and began to read his, then he offered to read the others to each of their letters. It was so precious to watch.

So if you have time, here are a few tidbits from Wendy's post. I can't share it all yet because some of it is from a new book that she and Amber are working on (yay! I'm excited). And if you feel led, try it out for yourself and your family. You wont regret it. It brought me so much joy. I plan on trying to do one each month if not every other week for the boys.



Post from Wendy:
So I was wondering this afternoon, sweet mama-friends, if I can tell you what is true about you. Would you let me paint a picture of who I believe you are?
"You are a loving mom. You are an ever-sacrificing, sweet-encouraging, long-suffering mom. And you are the perfect mom your kids need. You listen patiently, and help everyone tirelessly, and switch out another load of laundry with a cheerful heart. And tomorrow, you'll do it all again... because this is who you are."

(I don't know about you all, but I needed to hear that today, I may even need to tape this to my refrigerator or write it on my arm in sharpie as a constant reminder!)
Alright, now it's your turn. Take a moment and write out a script for you to speak over your children (or maybe just one of them if you prefer.)
Son, you are... You are... You are...
Sweetheart, you are.... you are...
Boys, you guys are... children, you are...
This is who you are...
Tell them who they are, regardless of how they behave, and watch how the behavior transforms to line up with what you've said is true!
There is power in the tongue!
"The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit." (Proverbs 18:21, NIV)
I believe that our children, and our husbands, and our own selves too, will bear good fruit when we speak good words over one another.
I can't wait to hear what vision-casting, life-giving words you want to speak to your children today.
Go!"

Okay - you're turn - GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment